Forum Home Forum Home > Our Dogs > Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Dental Cleaning?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Online Status: Offline
Post Options Post Options   Quote vsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dental Cleaning?
    Posted: 13 October 2015 at 3:07pm
Some of you may remember Keeper Boomslang (Boom).  He will be 12 in January and the vet has recommended he get a dental.  I have always had his teeth cleaned over the years at the Pawty Place in Katy without Anesthesia, but it seems now the gums are receeding and it is time for a "real" cleaning.  Although Boom has slowed down he is fairly healthy.  His back legs are a little wobbly, he has a heart murmur which has always been there, and his last senior blood work came back PERFECT a few months ago.  I am so confused on what to do.  Should I go through with the dental?  I am so afraid to put him under anesthesia but I am thinking if I don't, eventually the teeth could cause more problems.  Could you all share the expeirences you have had putting a senior dog under for a dental?  I would greatly appreciate any advice you can give.  BTW...I would go to Stuebner Airline Vet and let Dr. Heimlich do the cleaning, although it is very expensive here.

Thanks,
Vicki And Boom

BTW...Tiny Tears will also be 12 in January and she is doing GREYT!  She has been one of the lucky ones with her teeth. 
Vicki, Lance, Ashlynn and Abigail(The Humans)

Princess Tiny and Handsome Boy Boom (Our adorable Greys), and Hornet (cat)
greytfull View Drop Down
Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote greytfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 October 2015 at 10:55am
Vicki, my 11 yo just had a dental yesterday and she did greyt. The vet did reduce the amount of anesthesia as she is very sensitive. When GPA gets seniors in we have used Dr. H a lot. He just did Dottie last month who is over 11 and she came in extremely anemic. She did fine after getting her bloodwork all squared away. GPA has had to have dentals for 14yos and they did fine with knowledgeable vets
I hesitated with my 11 yo but I balanced in my mind the bacteria in her mouth, her immune system getting weaker as she ages and finally decided to do it. All that bacteria can affect the kidneys and liver badly.
If Boom is healthy I would really consider it now rather than later. Talk it through with Dr. H. All the best
Pat, Kiley, Faithy, Helly, Deane, Daisy, Bug, Rooby and Pecious
vsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote vsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2015 at 11:26am
Thank you Pat.  This really helped me a lot!  Boom really is doing well and I would love to keep it that way!  I wish the dental with Dr. H were not so expensive.  I could end up spending $700 plus with extractions.

vsmith View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Quote vsmith Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 2:11pm
Boom made it through his dental last week.  He had 11 teeth pulled and a small growth removed on his shoulder.  $1500 later, he is a new man...lol   I was worried at first when it took him 24 hours before he would eat or drink, but he finally did.  He is already acting like he is ready to play again!  Tiny will be next and will probably have hers done in February for dental month.  I am thinking of going to Dr. Keadle for hers, since his prices are a little more reasonable.  However, I felt very confident in Dr. H and we really loved everyone at the vet clinic.  We knew Boom was in good hands! 

greytfull View Drop Down
Board Member

Post Options Post Options   Quote greytfull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2015 at 4:05pm
Wonderful news Vicki.
Pat, Kiley, Faithy, Helly, Deane, Daisy, Bug, Rooby and Pecious
 Post Reply Post Reply