GPA - Houston Discussion Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Our Dogs > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSKUNKED - Help! - Event Date: 25 February 2013 - 27 February 2013

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Calendar Event: SKUNKED - Help!
    Posted: 25 February 2013 at 6:23am
Sue Ann got sprayed by a skunk this morning.

What can I use to clean her face. She isn't in any pain, but did get sprayed in the face. I called an emergency vet and they suggested a mix of Dawm, vinegar and peroxide, but that I shouldn't use this on her face.

Tomatoe juice?

HELP!

I'm on my way out to the grocery store (it's 6:30am). PLease text me if you have a way for me to clean her face. 713-504-2692

Thanks - Wendi
Wendi & Sue Ann
Wilma's Mum View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 9:01am
Wendi - this is from Marlane who has too much experience with "skunking"

ok - well - there are lots of old wives tales with skunk....  Nothing gets it all OUT.
NOTHING.
But there are things that help reduce it - and it will simply take time for it to go away.

Dawn and the peroxide , vinegar mix does help a lot.

I do think tomato paste , juice etc does help - again - it's an acid cutting an oil based smell.

Sharry MacLaren suggested Johnson's Baby Shampoo for the face.  I do this this helped as well.

Since our whole house got skunked - because the boys brought the smell in - 
we had to use a service to get rid of it.

I will be happy to provide that info.  The person was awesome and I would highly recommend if there is a bad odor.  The product CAN be used on the dogs.  I've done this twice now - and have a gallon of the stuff on hand now.

If you'd like Marlane's cell phone number, please send me a PM
Regards,

Natalie, Gavin, Alexei, Tilly and our sweet girls Wilma (12/20/97 - 12/24/09) and Cady (8/13/02 - 2/17/12) prancing at the bridge
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 9:19am
I've reached out to Wendi to give her what I found has helped. I think it would be a great help to others if we can note the things that others who have gone through being "skunked" found were "helpful" in reducing the smell.    Personally - I don't think ANYTHING works 100%. That being said - there are things that help greatly.

A) Dawn dishwashing liquid. They use this when they are trying to get the oil off of animals that have been effected by spills etc. The skunk musk is oil based. Dawn does help to cut it.

B) There are several mixes that include Dawn.... Dawn + peroxide + vinegar is one. I believe that it is mixed in thirds. PLEASE check this out for yourself - several versions on line. *** NOTE **** DO NOT get this in your hounds eyes!!!****

C) Tomato Paste or Juice.... again - since tomatoes are acid based - they will help to cut the "oil" of the skunk musk. Not a cure all - but - it can help.   Again - avoid getting it in the hounds eyes!

D) Johnsons Baby Shampoo - this can be used on the face of the hound - to help in the bathing process.

E) Over the counter produces .... One that I did feel helped was called "Natures Miracle - Skunk odor remover" It's available in places like Petsmart. About $13.00 dollars.   

F) When you need the BIG GUNS.... The dog(s) have been skunked... they've run through the house - the smell is on everything and every body. It's not just a matter of opening windows. Humidity makes it worst!!!    This happened to me when my house was for sale. It was unbearable. I needed that smell gone - and gone fast.   Enter Doug from Clean and Green Services...    www.cleanandgreensolutions.com   

The service was worth every penny! Doug arrived quickly - explained the process and the solution that he would use. He was pleasant - and very very professional. He guaranteed his work and that if the odor was not gone with 24 hours - he would retreat until it was gone.   Well - it worked as he promised and I swear by this stuff now. It is NOT inexpensive. But we were 100% satisfied.   I have since purchased a gallon of the produce and keep it on hand. You dilute it - and so it lasts a long time. And YES!!!! It can be used on the dog and your own clothing to get the smell out.

NOTE: Once you've washed the dog - using any of the above - the smell may seem to go away. Rest assured that the next time Fido gets damp or wet - like in the rain - he will smell again. Little by little it will go away over time. But - it's a slow process.   Make sure to protect the dogs Eyes when using any product on them.

Multi step approach may be your best bet. Tomato paste or juice followed by a bath with Dawn or Dawn and the peroxide .... followed by the use of Natures Miracle - which can be left on after the fact.   Make sure you also clean your dogs Ears and get them nice and dry. Eyes can become very red and irritated. And may need a trip to the vet to ensure the eyes are ok. The irritation should go away after about a day or so. Again- use caution when using ANYTHING around the dogs face.

Marlane, Joe & Thomas

our Irish Brindle Boy - Mr. Nash and Swedish Fishy

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

1972customlark View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 11:17am
Thanks to everyone who sent me text messages with both ideas and just support! Greyhound people ARE the BEST!

I have tried - not just one - but all of the suggestions since 6am. Sue still stinks, but not too bad.

Sadly, I threw up on her back while washing her the first time - that's how bad the smell was... Yes, my husband has a video of this (from inside the house of course)! Why is she "my dog" only when she smells bad? Also, at Marlane's recommendation, had to sacrifice a new collar.

She seems ok and we will just wait out the stink. Thanks again everyone!
Wendi & Sue Ann
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 12:30pm
I did try soaking a "new" collar for SEVERAL days in the Natures Miracle. I just filled a plastic throw away container with the stuff - full strength. I then soaked it in the solution from Clean and Green.... After many days - the collar was salvageable.... when it gets wet - it does still have the lingering odor. hahaha.     

Not laughing at you Wendi - laughing with you. I am SO there and completely understand.   There is no way to describe the odor when it first happens. It is NOT like what you smell along the road when one has been hit by a car. The immediate odor is so toxic - just indescribable!!!    I was so very thankful that the new house has a heated garage - something I NEVER thought I would really use. Mr. Nash proved me wrong. He was not happy sleeping out there - but - it was the only way till I could get him bathed.   (of course both times my husband was out of town on business!!!)     I now have my "skunk kit" ready as there is always a next time.   Way better prepared and the second time it happened I had a better handle on it.    

Hang in there Wendi - the smell will go away.....eventually!!!
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 February 2013 at 4:27pm
It's 5:20pm and not yet dark... we just took Mr. Nash for his walk..... All this talk has summoned the local Skunk deity and not 15 minutes after we left our property (with NO skunk smell) and returned from our walk - HOLY SKUNK-A-MOLEY!!!!   We have been hit with "THE ODOR!!!"     Ya can't even MENTION the word S-K-U-N-K and it's out there!!!!!        Will have to be Extra vigilant!
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

angelkat View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 February 2013 at 11:41pm
Poor Nash, he really seems to have an affinity for attracting the cute little skunkies. If only you could convince him that the cute little stuffie skunkies make much better friends!Sick
Poor little Sue Ann! She had to pick some of the coldest days of the year to have an up close and personal encounter with the striped bugger from hell! If you give me a description of the collar she was wearing, I will gladly find a similar collar and donate it to her.
Kathy & Shortcake,Colleen,Cole,Lucciano, Camy & Dancin'
& the kitties.
(Shadow, Rudy, Angel, Alyssa, Dax, WeeBit, Bailey,Livia,Liana,Janie & Whisper~Racing Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bridge)
 Post Reply Post Reply