Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Administrator
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Good bye Miss Mattie
    Posted: 06 June 2012 at 11:22pm

Boy, it is always hard to read notes like this….but even more difficult when you have to write one yourself….
Guess we need mention that we had to let Mattie, aka "Puddles" go on her merry, hip-hop way over that bridge where I am sure she will continue to boss all the greyhounds around as she did throughout her life. Her human friends know when I mention how she would boss around every greyhound that would come her way and the hounds would pay her no attention as they could sense (evidently) that she was missing a few marbles or two, and just let her go on snarling and curling up her upper lip and moving her nose back towards her forehead. One funny pup!

I think, though it was hard for us to see, she had really been in failing health for some time. Yesterday evening (Tues) was when it was made clear that the best thing for her was to leave us peacefully and quietly. About 9pm she was out in the back yard doing whatever a greyhound wants to do, and got into a fight that caused a wound that would have required surgery.
We called our vet whom we have taken our greyhounds to for over 15years, and she was so gracious to meet us at her clinic. I don't think we need to go into the problems she had and that certain functions were becoming harder for her to control, and more difficult for her to maneuver around, etc., but these hardships, and the surgery that would be necessary were some things that she shouldn't have to endure.  Our vet is so sensitive to the pets in her care and to the owners as well. She agreed that Mattie wasn’t strong enough to endure the surgery and recovery.
Mattie gave us all so much laughter throughout her life. An example: When we went to the Greyhound Gathering in Kanab for the first time.... They had an event they call "The Blur of Fur”. A radar gun clocks the speed of your hound as they run down the enclosed run towards you. Sometimes the owner has to encourage their pup to run towards them, yelling things like "HEY MATTIE!!....COME ON MATTIE!!!..Come ON MATTIE!  (In our case, it would be like calling on deaf ears...nothing, no response…) I would run up to her, and she was walking down the fence line, wagging her tail like crazy wanting the other greyhound owners to pet HER. Paying no attention to me! She could care less about running down that field--she just wanted the attention from the crowd. Everyone was laughing at her and me trying to get her to run to me.  One crazy pup.

Mattie came into our lives at 8weeks old. She had a traumatic beginning to her life by way of her newbie Mother evidently not ready for a litter, and so was not doing very nice things to her pups. We fostered, and quickly failed. Little did we know that we were going to get a puppy with cerebral problems that ran around in circles in ONLY one direction. Peeing everywhere. And then often falling down in her  ‘puddles’.  That's how she became known as "Puddles". I think that Noreen gave her that name?? AND speaking of peeing....ask me sometime about traveling down the Amazon River....in your very own kitchen! LOL

John and I were hoping to take her on what we thought might be one of her last little camping trips, which actually starts Thursday...but she didn't get to make this trip.  But she'll be with us, just the same.

Like all of the hounds that we all bring into our homes, these greyhounds become part of our families. Even though they are  just  "Dogs"....and they're NOT human don't you know....etc... We still fall helplessly in love with them don’t we, and so it's difficult to let them go. They do become part of your family.  But you have to realize that the time will come when you must let them leave your home and pass on to another.

So now Mattie is able to RUN freely on all FOUR legs, and can now SEE out of BOTH of eyes, and can HEAR out both ears--  Happy hunting Miss Mattie; we certainly miss you.

10/27/2000 -- 6/6/2012

This is Mattie when about 9 weeks (?) standing on her protector, Tonka.
and this is Mattie, taken in Jan of 2011

Edited by ghoundman - 11 June 2012 at 10:15pm
And waiting at the Bridge---
...in order of appearance....Flak, Frosty, Tonka, Mattie and our Flying Golden girl ("Goldie")

avri'smom View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 6:56am
Sorry to hear about Mattie ~ you are in my thoughts
Mom to Avri & Guinness
Aggiemom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 7:31am
I'm so very sorry for the loss of Miss Mattie {{{hugs}}}
LISA ~ Mom to:
MIRAGE /C Ya Mirage

And always in my heart, my beautiful girls, Piaget/C Ya Piaget 11/08/03 - 10/01/11 and Maya/C Ya Fuzzy Navel 5/30/07 - 04/28/14

Carol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 8:14am
So very sorry. Such a warm and loving tribute to a special girl. Maddie was so fortunate to have you and John open your hearts and home to her.  To anyone that knew her, the world is a bit sadder place today. Though she will be miss by all who knew her, Maddie is truely running free for the frist time.
Carol

Charlie and Tipp

and my Bridge Angels, Sweet Honey, Spinner and Guinness
angelkat View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 9:45am
Oh I am so very sorry to read this! I just loved
Miss Mattie. She had spunk! Oh and what a cute smile.
Run free funny girl!
Kathy & Shortcake,Colleen,Cole,Lucciano, Camy & Dancin'
& the kitties.
(Shadow, Rudy, Angel, Alyssa, Dax, WeeBit, Bailey,Livia,Liana,Janie & Whisper~Racing Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bridge)
Jules View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 11:46am
So sorry to hear about Mattie.  What a greyt home and life she had with you. Run free, Mattie.

Edited by Jules - 07 June 2012 at 11:50am
Julie

Shadow and Dodger
Missing Count forever
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 12:30pm
SO sorry to read of her passing. THank you for never giving up on her. A very special pup - many people would not want to take on the challenge.

Dog, Cats, Kids (and any other member of our Family) don't come the way we "want". The come into our life the way they are. Just thinking about how much Mattie has taught you - and the rest of GPAH. Special Hounds deserve to live a long - full and love filled life. You and John certainly gave Mattie that opportunity.   Sending a hug from New Hampshire!

Edited by greytaunt - 07 June 2012 at 12:31pm
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

our Irish Brindle Boy - Mr. Nash and Swedish Fishy

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

jimsherriek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 1:10pm
Godspeed dear little Mattie.  We will be looking for your star tonight.  It will shine bright and beautiful, just like your spirit!!!!
Sherrie

Slave to Dottie

Missing Queen Mandy, Melissa, Maggie, Kendra,Izzy, Senator, Secret, Tugboat and Betsy at the bridge
JBandSuz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 2:55pm
Sending warm thoughts and greyhound hugs for you all on the loss of Miss Mattie.
Suzanne, JB, and Rose + Miss Penny & Miss Moon
LauraOneHound View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 June 2012 at 8:22pm
Tim & John, I am so very sorry to read this about your Mattie. Cry  What a beautiful tribute you wrote for your little snarlin' darlin', who so many of us came to love. Under your care she beat the odds and lived to a ripe old age. Clap Thank you both for taking such GREYT care of your 'Puddles'. She was a special needs pup from day one, which did not seem to matter a lick to either of you. What an undertaking it was not only to foster this girl, but then to wind up adopting her! Boy oh boy, Mattie's lucky star was shining BRIGHT when you two met her!Embarrassed

Mattie girl, please give a bark over to Ripple and Kira for me, tho watch out! Kira will bark back!
Run free, run 'straight' Mattie girl!

LauraW - human slave to:
Corgi-girl Cindy
Little man 'iggy" Taylor
Missing my Bridge angels -
Ripple & Kira
**laura**
Have you hugged your grey today?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>