Forum Home Forum Home > Our Dogs > Health
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closeditchy grey

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: itchy grey
    Posted: 21 April 2011 at 3:17pm
Casey has been very itchy for the last week or so.  He's constantly chewing/licking his feet, his tail, his thighs and his stomach.  He also rubs his face on the carpet and scratches at his ears.  I've been checking for fleas and haven't seen anything (he's on advantage multi).  I'm taking him to the vet Saturday for a bordatella booster and will mention this, but does anyone have suggestions in the meantime?  Would benadryl help maybe?
Caroline. Missing Bandit (12/96-9/04), Guinness (1/97-7/10, and Casey (7/01-10/13)
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 4:24pm
Have Any kind of fertilizers been put down in your yard?
How is the condition of his skin/coat? Raw? irritated? bumps?
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

our Irish Brindle Boy - Mr. Nash and Swedish Fishy

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

mitchell9373 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 5:18pm
Cal does the same thing, primarily his snout.  He has been dealing with since from the day I took him home.  Coincidentally, the days my allergies are the worst, same with him.  Vet agrees.  I had him tested for skin disorders, etc....nothing.  I give him a benadryl with both meals, and it's helped a lot.  He still itches some, but not nearly as much.  Of course the drwaback is a little drowsiness.  But for his comfort, it's worth it.

Scott n Cal
bookchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 April 2011 at 5:50pm

No fertilizers or anything in my yard.  I try to keep him out the neighbors yards that I know spray their lawns.  When I brushed him last night, I noticed he had a lot of dandruff although his skin doesn't seem drier than normal (he went to the groomer last Friday) I just now noticed a raw spot on one of his paws where he's licked/rubbed the fur off, probably while I was at work today.

I don't recall him having issues last spring, but since my allergies have been awful this year it would make sense that his could be bothering him more too.  I'll see what the vet says - hopefully it's something simple, I feel bad becasue he looks so miserable.
Caroline. Missing Bandit (12/96-9/04), Guinness (1/97-7/10, and Casey (7/01-10/13)
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 1:26pm
Poor pup - I hope the Vet can figure out if it's allergies etc.
Adding some omega 3 / fish oil to the food might help with the dry skin at least... You can buy Salmon Oil at most of the pet food supply stores - but it's pretty pricey... at the kennel we use the omega 3 tablets - same as what you'd buy for yourself. Add 2 per meal. Really helps to improve the coats and skin of the kennel pups. I use it too on my own. See what the vet recommends.

Marlane, Joe & Thomas

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

peachesmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 4:41pm
The air has been really dry with very little humidity.  We usually don't have this much of a dry spell, and of course with no rain........both my boys have really dry skin.  Even with Omega 3 and Vite E they still are flaking.

Come on rain and a little bit of humidity please
Sharry,Rip, Mike,Lucy Bell and Costa Maya with Foster Zip.

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge Stanley, Monti, Red,Peaches and Teddy Bear
Jeannie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2011 at 8:25pm
Paw licking usually relates to airborne allergies, which goes along with your comment about your allergies and your pups. Check with your vet, if the itching is that bad the vet may want to prescribe some short term steroids along with an antihistamine.
When a Greyhound looks into your eyes, it seems they reach your very soul.

Always near, our Bridge Angel Greyhounds Casey, Molly, Maggie,Charlie, Renie, Lucy and Teddy

We miss you forever.

bookchick View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 9:13am
Jeannie nailed it again. :)  Casey is a steroid antihistimine combo (forget the name offhand) for 10 days, after that the vet said to give him Benadryl as needed.  He's had two does so far and I haven't seen him itching, licking or scratching at all this morning and he seems much perkier too.
Jeannie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 10:30am
I am so glad Casey is feeling better!   Big smile
When a Greyhound looks into your eyes, it seems they reach your very soul.

Always near, our Bridge Angel Greyhounds Casey, Molly, Maggie,Charlie, Renie, Lucy and Teddy

We miss you forever.

greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 April 2011 at 3:40pm
good news!   stay well Casey
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

Post Reply Post Reply