Forum Home Forum Home > Our Dogs > Rainbow Bridge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Calendar   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBeautiful Bea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Beautiful Bea
    Posted: 17 December 2009 at 4:02pm
Bea passed away very suddenly and unexpectedly last evening. The best the e-vet can determine is that it may have been a tumor that ruptured. She had had no problems or symptoms and, in fact, was playing and running, the night before. She woke up not wanting her breakfast, so I knew she was a little off yesterday, but nothing else that would lead me to believe she was going to collapse that evening at 8:15pm. We lost her around 9pm on the way to the e-vet.

The boys are looking for her everywhere and Howie, who normally sleeps on the people bed, slept on her bed on top of her blanket all night. He really did love her the best (even AFTER she nailed him a time or two on the nose riding in the car. That is true love....). I really wish I had video of the way he would walk beside her on walks just "grinning" almost as if he were saying "Look what a pretty girlfriend I have!".

I estimate Bea was 6 or 7 but I don't know for sure since her tattoos had been written over and then obliterated. She spent the first 2 years of  her life doing amateur rabbit coursing on the plains of West Texas. Her owner turned her and 2 others over to GPA when they started slowing down a little.

Bea was heartworm positive so she got treated for that and then was adopted. The first adopter returned her when she was moving overseas. Bea was then in and out of several foster homes. It was also determined at that point that she was EXTREMELY small dog aggressive  - making it hard to match her to certain homes.

She was with me for about 3 months and I brought her back because I was getting too attached and I definitely could not have three dogs at the time. I loved having her as a foster and she fit in with Howie and Raisin perfectly even back then.

Finally, she found a home along with another female greyhound. After getting out of the yard at this home probably 4 different times and almost getting hit by cars on those occasions, the couple divorced and she was brought back to GPA. small hooray inserted here... I took her home that very day, remembering how much I had loved her as my foster, and she never left.

Raisin passed on in July and the timing was "right" and she had already been with us three months so it was just like she never had ever been anywhere else but with us and that she had ALWAYS been my dog. It was meant to be...completely (Plus, I FINALLY got the red and white greyhound I had ALWAYS wanted). And she was house perfect..and I do mean totally house perfect. A dream dog.

I worked with her extensively on the small dog issue which was still her Achilles' heel, and we were JUST able to have an Italian Greyhound foster last month. She had become SO tolerant, that I have a beautiful photo of her and Chance snuggling on the couch which I will add to this post later. I was so so so proud of her. And those who know how scary she was before with the small dogs understand that this was no small feat. 

Not only that but she was a perfect meet and greet dog, LOVED LOVED LOVED children and charmed everyone that came near her. On Monday, she came to B&N with me and got many bills "just because she is so pretty". Many parents would say "my kid was scared of dogs before they met this one" about Bea. She was that magical with the kids.

And, yes, so pretty. I think I was more vain than I should have been about how pretty she was but she also loved to wear her coat and have me put pink collars and pajamas on her and even liked to have her toenails painted :-). Quite the girly girl.

I can go on, but I will just say that I am still in a semi state of disbelief that she is gone and it's going to take several days for it to sink in. I would say "unfair that she had to go this soon" but it never really matters how long you have had them, it is still the same grief and sadness and hole in the family when they go.  

Fly to the Bridge, Super Bea, and Raisin will be there to meet you.
Broken Heart

Edited by lynholli - 17 December 2009 at 4:04pm
Bull & Wyatt Earp - The Wonder Dogs! Missing our Raisin: 9/9/94 - 7/20/08, our Super Bea: 2002/3? - 12/16/2009, and our Howie: 9/17/97 - 4/9/11
angelkat View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 5:02pm
Oh Lynn, I am so terribly sorry for your loss. Thank you for giving sweet Bea such a wonderful loving home. What a beautiful lady she was. We all share your sorrow.
Healing hugs from me and my crew.

Edited by angelkat - 17 December 2009 at 5:02pm
Kathy & Shortcake,Colleen,Cole,Lucciano, Camy & Dancin'
& the kitties.
(Shadow, Rudy, Angel, Alyssa, Dax, WeeBit, Bailey,Livia,Liana,Janie & Whisper~Racing Somewhere Over the Rainbow Bridge)
peachesmom View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:23pm
Super Bea was beautiful, funny, silly and then a girly girl.  She knew when she went home with you she had finally found her special place.  Bea was never shy, I remember she tried to get up front with Catherine when we left the rabbit hunter's place.  Janny got in the back to keep the three girls company.  He almost didn't let us have Bea, she was his favorite but she wasn't as fast anymore....guess not with heartworms. He thought he was taking good care of his dogs.   When we left we were so glad we got the 3 girls.   We knew they would love retirement. 

I know you will miss her so much.  Thank you for sharing some of your girls life with everyone. 

Hugs from us,
Sharry,Rip, Mike,Lucy Bell and Costa Maya with Foster Zip.

Waiting at the Rainbow Bridge Stanley, Monti, Red,Peaches and Teddy Bear
greytaunt View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:26pm
Lynn,

I am so at a loss of words... please let me know if there is anything
I can do to help. Your in my thoughts and prayers.
Marlane, Joe & Thomas

our Irish Brindle Boy - Mr. Nash and Swedish Fishy

*** Missing our Big Smilin' Sky... Bruno the Irish Gentleman... and Black Cat Sienna

Carol View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:31pm
Lynn, I am so very sorry for your loss.  I remember you telling how Super Bea was meant for you, and you for her.   You were lucky to have found each other, even though it took some special timing.    
Carol

Charlie and Tipp

and my Bridge Angels, Sweet Honey, Spinner and Guinness
jimsherriek View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 6:59pm
Lynne, Howie and Bull,

We are so sorry to hear of the loss of your precious Bea.  When the special ones arrive, there is never enough time in all the world with them.

Run free sweet Bea, and when you get to the otherside of the rainbow bridge, be sure to see Mandy and Melissa there.  They will show you all the best places to play with the bunnies.
Sherrie

Slave to Dottie

Missing Queen Mandy, Melissa, Maggie, Kendra,Izzy, Senator, Secret, Tugboat and Betsy at the bridge
mitchell9373 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 7:22pm
Very sorry for your loss.  I met Bea at my office interview.  So sweet and lady-like.  Our thoughts are with you and the boys.

Scott and Cal
Jeannie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 8:07pm
Lynn I am so sorry, there is never enough time. Godspeed Bea, run with all the angels.
When a Greyhound looks into your eyes, it seems they reach your very soul.

Always near, our Bridge Angel Greyhounds Casey, Molly, Maggie,Charlie, Renie, Lucy and Teddy

We miss you forever.

Jules View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 8:23pm
So sorry to hear about Bea. She sounded like such a special dog.  It doesn't matter how long you have them... they still have a permanent space in your heart.  You gave her a good life and I believe she knew it.  Run free Bea.
Julie

Shadow and Dodger
Missing Count forever
adobec View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2009 at 9:10pm
Lynn,
I am SO sorry to hear abou Bea.  She was indeed a beauty and she sounds like such a sweetheart :)  I don't know if this is any consolation, but even when a human dies suddenly and unexpectedly, I rationalize that it was 100% "meant to be".  There was no human intervention involved.... nobody wondering which treament path they should choose.... nobody perhaps pursuing treatment when suffering might be involved.... nobody denying treatment when it could, in fact, save a life. 

Our sweet Adobe died suddenly and like you, I was in an absolute state of shock for days, maybe even weeks.  The grief was unbearable.  But soon I was able to replace the shock and sadness with fond memories of the time we shared.  My heart goes out to you and maybe even more to Howie.... at least you have some understanding of what has happened.... he just knows his buddy is no longer with him.  Stay strong and always hold on to the sweet memories of Bea.  And thanks for giving her a wonderful home..... :)
The Calders --
Humans -- Amy, Hamilton, Madison, Harrison, Aidan, Holden
Luna the poodle mix.
We'll never forget our greys... Adobe, Mike, Scarlet, Bronte, Willie, Lizzie at the Rainbow Bridge.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>